Sunday, March 18, 2012

March is blooming!

The big news this March Garden Bloggers Bloom Day is the incredible, lush greenery. Last March, the drought had already set in; not only were there few flowers, but not much green, either.

But this year I do have a few fabulous spots to report on, and here they are!

On our land, we have one big patch of bluebonnets (Lupinus texensis) blooming, and more scattered around that haven't come into bloom, yet. Bluebonnets are, of course, Texas' state flower.


 In my garden, the showiest blooms sit side by side:  bridal wreath (Spiraea prunifolia) and pink oxalis (Oxalis articulata f. crassipes). Oh my!

Other blooms in my bed are the autumn sage (Salvia greggii) out front and naturalizing four-nerve daisies (Tetraneuris scaposa - pictured here with a white autumn sage).

In the wild, the Texas stars (Lindheimera texana) are blooming. They will get larger and continue blooming through the spring.

Prairie (or plains) fleabane (Erigeron modestus - at least I think that's what it is!) is quickly becoming a favorite of mine.  It's tough, it spreads, and it's showy. Love it!

Prairie verbenas (Glandularia bipinnatifida) are also beginning to make a show. These are our most prolific wildflower here on the hill, and will continue blooming into the fall.

One of our favorites this time of year are what we call buttercups, which bloom in the evening and wilt away the next morning. We are surprised every spring when we stumble upon the first blooms some spring evening. As near as I can tell, these are Missouri primroses (Oenothera macrocarpa), though ours do not bloom as long as the book says they do.

Head on over to May Dreams Gardens to see more reports on March blooms!

P.S. If you think I've misidentified something, let me know. I am an amateur botanist, and most likely make mistakes!

8 comments:

  1. You have a lot blooming.
    The deer don't eat your Bluebonnets? I had one bloom a couple years ago, and they ate the bloom.
    I love those evening primrose. I think they're prettier than the pink ones.
    Happy Bloomday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've seen it all! I don't see signs of deer eating bluebonnets . . . maybe it was just a bad year. Of course, you always have a bumper crop of deer in your neighborhood.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous bluebonnets! And I love your pink oxalis, too. Very pretty with your spirea blooming. Your buttercups look very sweet. That greenery looks so great, doesn't it? Soooo much better than the browns of last year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great wildflowers! All my oxalis blooms white. Your spirea is so pretty with the pink.

    Can't wait for the snow to get out of the way of the plants here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even imagine snow on the ground right now. Soon it will melt away!

      Delete
  4. Hi, looks like garden has a lot going on at the moment with all those pretty flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by - it is a busy season here, for sure.

      Delete