Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Spring blooms in my garden



Bridal wreath (Spirea prunifolia)
Well, I really missed Garden Bloggers Bloom Day this time. I meant to post on the 15th . . . no, really, I did! But a family emergency put the kibosh on those plans.

And yet . . .

Plants are blooming in my yard, despite our drought. Truly, nature is amazing. Plants will bloom in spring, no matter the lack of rain or unseasonable heat or drying winds. Some of my bloomers are rather exciting (at least to me), so I'm posting today.

Spring! Hurrah!


This is one of my prizes:
I think it's a potato vine
(Solanum jasminoides). It
grew over winter, and is
blooming gaily now!

We are on the tail end of bloom time for the agarita
(Mahonia trifoliata) and the berries are forming.



Texas stars (Lindheimera texana) reseed freely in my beds and yard. These are native wildflowers.

The irises responded nicely to their spa treatment last fall.
These are the first blooms I've seen in three years.

Blackfoot daisies (Melampodium leucanthum)

This is my other prize! A neighbor bought this for me last year and it's finally blooming.
The desert globe mallow (Sphaeralcea ambigua) is native to the southwest (not Texas).


This awesome plant is death camas (Zigadenes Nuttallii). Yes, it's poisonous.


What's blooming in your garden? To see other GBBD reports, visit May Dreams Gardens.

2 comments:

  1. Nice mix of springy offerings - I can't wait until our relatives to your agarita (algerita here) start to bloom. Your blackfoot daisy and globemallow are very happy. We're catching up, though you are already there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably doesn't get as cold here as you where you are, right?

      Delete